Monday 29 March 2010

Idiopathic soft palate paralysis


Idiopathic soft palate paralysis is an isolated clinical entity of unknown cause. Typical clinical features are sudden onset rhinolalia, and nasal escape of fluids from the ipsilateral nostril. The disorder affects mainly male children at the ages of 2 to 3 years and resolves spontaneously. This picture depicts a 6-year-old male with the rare disorder. It shows right sided palatal deviation. There were no other cranial palsies and the palatal palsy recovered after administration of systemic steroids and antiviral drugs after a duration of 2 months.
--
Dr Harpreet S Kochar
MBBS (AIIMS), MS (AIIMS)
Consultant
Dept of ENT and Head Neck Surgery
Kailash Hospital (Greater Noida) and Delhi ENT hospital (Jasola, New Delhi)
India
Web: www.entgreaternoida.com
Dr.Thomas Antony said...

I had a similar case, but he was in the teens. I had posted this case for discussion in the various Orkut sites as well as entsurgeons@googlegroups.com

5 comments:

  1. I had a similar case, but he was in the teens. I had posted this case for discussion in the various Orkut sites as well as entsurgeons@googlegroups.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. for unknown reason, the palsy seems to affect males more than females. and the recovery chances are reported to be good. i had another 5 yr old male patient who also presented with idiopathic unilateral palatal palsy but he was lost to follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we also have a similar case here,but with congenital hemolytic anaemia

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father had soft palate paralysis and I had phlangeal flap surgery when I was 5 and I am a female. Is there any correlation between us? I am trying to figure out what is hereditary since I am 27 and am planning on having children soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today I had a 35yr old female with isolated palatal palsy. Shall post a small video clipping soon.

    Dr Rishi Gautam Aggarwal
    Sri Onkar EYE & ENT Clinic, Ambala City.

    ReplyDelete